Sunday 12 February 2012

Application Letter and Job Ad

Ok so here's my application letter. Just rip into it if you have to. And anyone who's familiar with Blogger, help me out with the format, yeah? Its driving me crazy!


Application Letter: 




32 Verde Crescent  
Singapore 688387

February 7, 2012

Professor Jackie Yi-Ru Ying
Executive Director
Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
31 Biopolis Way
The Nanos, #04-01
Singapore 138669

 Dear Professor Jackie:

I have noted with interest your research job opening in the Biodevices and Diagnostics division. I believe that with my experience in doing cancer biology laboratory work and my work in drug resistance would make me the ideal candidate for the position of Lab Officer (Cancer Biology) in the Biodevices and Diagnostics division of the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (IBN)

My degree in Bioengineering would make me an excellent fit for the position as I will be able to provide both an engineering perspective as well as conventional biological lab research work. Furthermore, I am familiar with many of the common labratory diagnostic procedures such as Reverse Transcriptase RT-PCR, Immunohistochemistry, Hematoxylin and Eosin staining and general cell culture protocol. My experience with research also includes the field of fluidics and pressurised systems. I participated in a Undergraduate Research Opportunities Project (UROP) based on pressurised bio mimetic fluidics for the period of a year.

My Final Year Project (FYP) was also based on the culturing of osteosarcoma cancer cell lines in a bioreactor. Finally, my FYP involved the testing of anti-cancer drugs on cancer cells grown in the bioreactor. These projects have given me a good grounding in microbiology and cancer biology. These would be aligned with IBN's current Cancer Diagnosis and Cancer marker capture work.


These experiences and skills would, I believe, make me a suitable candidate for this position.I feel that my qualities of diligence and meticulousness with regards to my assigned work (as evinced by my references), would also be a great asset to IBN's Biodevices and Diagnostics division.

Enclosed is a resume outlining my qualifications and references. I look forward to meeting you in order to further discuss the position and my qualifications. Thank you for your time and consideration.


Yours Sincerely,
Govin Dass Naidu








If you have a passion for innovation and the desire to be at the forefront of scientific research, send or email your curriculum vitae to the following address. Please include a cover letter and three references.
Professor Jackie Yi-Ru Ying
Executive Director
Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
31 Biopolis Way
The Nanos, #04-01
Singapore 138669


Please send your CV to recruit@ibn.a-star.edu.sg


Research Positions
Biodevices and Diagnostics

Lab Officer/Senior Lab Officer (Cancer Biology)
Reference No. IBN030112/R/CB/MH


Responsibilities
  • Our research focuses on systems medicine from multiple perspectives, including biological (genetic, molecular, microbiologic and metabolic), clinical and engineering views. The laboratory environment is focused on translational research and accompanying development of practical tools and technologies with immediate clinical and industrial benefit.
  • The primary job scope for this position will focus on evaluating drug resistance in both in vitro and in vivo cancer and bacterial infection models.


Requirements
  • Highly motivated candidates with at least an Honors or equivalent degree in Biology/ Engineering Chemistry or related field.
  • Practical experience in laboratory animal work, bacterial and viral microbiology would be an advantage.




6 comments:

  1. Hello Govin!

    Great that you linked how your FYP etc could be linked to their job scope and requirements!

    "These experiences and skills would, I believe,..." is rather passive in nature. Consider "I believe that these experiences..."

    Really technical piece for the job type!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Govin,

    I think in the last paragraph, you should include your contact information and when you'd be contacting them with regards to your application.

    And I didn't know you worked with H&E staining too!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback folks! I'll edit accordingly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Govin,

    Just like candice said it is great you write down your experiences in lab to meet your job requirement.

    For first paragraph, how about mentioning where you get the job ad?

    Cheers,
    Fiza

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi buddy

    I think you did a great job in crafting this application letter. The objective is very clear, and you came out with 3 distinct points for your brief qualifications and why you are ideal for the job. You mention those technical terms in which you relate very well to the job requirements.

    Just like what Ms Lim has mentioned in class, like what Malathi has pointed out, do take the initiative in letting them know when you will be calling back to enquire on the application process so as to form the good impression that you are proactive.

    Good luck with your job application!

    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Govin!

    Oh its good that you written down the qualities clearly in the last part. I think giving technical terms pertaining to the job is also a good way of showing to the company that you now your stuff.

    I think additional stuff to add on are already mentioned by the others. so just make those changes and this cover letter is good to go!

    Gang Rui

    ReplyDelete