Sunday 4 March 2012

Evaluating Intercultural Behaviour: On Personal Space

I was in Germany last summer, and as one might imagine, culture shock was an everyday event. In fact, it was the case that throughout my travels in Europe, I constantly encountered cultural mores that were alien to me even with my generally liberal upbringing. This is just one story out of the many I encountered.

I did my attachment at a small university/church town in the Northern part of the country called Muenster. Its traditionally a Catholic stronghold and by virtue of that, the population is regarded as more conservative. However, the "conservatism" in Europe is vastly different from the norm in our part of the world.

On the second day in Germany, we were introduced to some German students, presumably to be our unofficial guides in the country. We shook hands enthusiastically with the male students. It was easy to relate to them of course, based on the common interest we shared, soccer. Talk quickly turned to upcoming matches and promises to meet to watch the matches. It was refreshing to meet people who were so friendly upon the first meeting and also so much alike despite coming from so different a culture.

The idealism didn't quite last though. When the German girls came over to introduce themselves I extended my hand in friendship and smiled. It was the normal greeting method after all, wasn't it. To my surprise, she slapped my hand away and went in for a hug and a peck on the cheek. I was too shocked to react. I was meeting this person for the very first time! The same thing happened with the other girls.

One might think that I'd be glad to have received a hug. But most Singaporeans have a very different perception of what constitutes personal space. And accordingly, my first reaction was one of anger. I felt that this person had trespassed on what constituted my personal space, intentional or nay.

The longer I spent in Europe though, the more I realised that people in Europe defined personal space a little differently from the way that I did. In group projects, members (male or female) would lean in and put their arms around you while you were showing them something on the computer screen. I was terribly unnerved at first but later learned to accept it. In fact, I realised that the boundary by which I defined personal space had become a lot smaller when I returned to Singapore.

I have a foreign colleague in my FYP lab now and when he wants to talk to me he comes up to me a lot closer than one would expect from a working colleague. My lab partner even once jokingly remarked that the two of us should start dating. I might have been offended and pushed him away before my sojourn in Germany but my European travels taught me how to be a lot more flexible with other people's customs. Surprisingly too, it changed my outlook of other people and how much personal space was really necessary for an individual.

7 comments:

  1. Wow Govin...

    That was awesome. I think any guy in your shoes wouldn't mind sacrificing a little of his personal space to assimilate into the Germans' culture.

    Ok. Coming back to the mainstream topic. I totally am able to relate to the personal space issue. I am one who would feel uncomfortable (violated) if someone whom I have not known for long to be standing or sitting really close to me. I think for this context, it can't be resolved with effective communication. This is like asking a Caucasian to feast on durians. It takes a great deal of psychological adjustments before you can tolerate. Therefore, I really admire you for being able to still keep your cool with your foreign colleague in your lab.

    This is indeed a very splendid post illustrating on a culture that many would find difficulty in assimilating into. Something different from my blog post and those of whom I have read. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Govin!!


    I personally feel their culture of having a smaller personal space is quite good. In fact, The point you raised when they put their arms over you while sharing the computer screen and stuff, it feels like something only your buddies and your close ones would do to you.

    My take is that maybe such actions of would make the other feel more warm and welcomed! I believe in the initial phase, anyone in your shoes will feel weird but after a while, you may feel that you will open up to them faster than your counterparts back home? I believe an injection of the personal touch works wonders!

    Oh I also can see you really enjoyed yourself in Germany based on your sharings in class. I guess whoever wants to go to Germany for a trip can learn a tip or two from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey German aka G-man,

    I've never been to Germany, or Europe for that matter, but I've definitely learnt something new what you've written here! Hope you've learnt some stuff from my peer teaching too (Ha!).

    I can totally relate myself with the awkwardness when another person gets too close for comfort (though I wouldn't mind free hugs from German girls); yea but like what you have said, you were meeting these people for the first time and obviously weren't expecting that kind of greeting - especially the peck on the cheek.

    In my opinion, understanding and adapting to a culture (like what you did) is very important when travelling in a foreign country, it forms the basis for effective cross cultural communication. Well, I supposed if you had not "adapted", your trip would have been quite miserable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Govin,

    I remember you telling me your summer exchange stories. Singapore is so much more conservative. When 2 people are in close proximity of one another, the rumours begin! Lots of assumptions and usually frowned upon.

    Compared to the ironfisted upbringing of our parents, our generation seems to be a little less stringent. Of course, not as liberal as the Germans. Glad that you got used to having a smaller personal boundary. Especially since how I tend to bump into you quite often.

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Govin,

    I have previously heard some stories about your exchange to Germany, and this blog post was something new. Well, I think this kind of cultural exchange is really healthy in the sense that it broadens your horizon. That being said, I would love to visit Europe someday to immerse in their culture!
    I’m sure we have all heard about western countries being liberal since young, and I think it will be great to experience it first hand. The idea you brought about in this blog post revolved around the idea of personal space. If Singaporeans were more open to a new concept and idea of personal space, it might help in reducing the frustrations and stress felt when their boundary were over stepped by others trying to squeeze for a place onboard the ‘overcrowded’ public transport.

    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey G Man!

    I guess this is what immersing in another culture is all about. The very act of experiencing something new and exciting is what draws and urges people to travel and discover new cultures. From doing so, we can broaden our perspective. If not for your experience in Germany, I guess you would have taken to your FYP colleague in a different manner right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Guys,

    Always glad to see I entertained. And yeah the culture shock is always a problem during long term overseas stays. The fun is adapting and taking elements back, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete