Saturday 7 April 2012

On Oral Presentations and Oratory

Oral Presentations. As I wrote this blog post, I reflected on all the presentations I have given over my four years in NUS. Most were group based, and a few involved me facing the firing squad on my own. The things I learned from those and this proposal are skills that I feel, will stay with me throughout the course of my life.

The first thing that struck me about the oral presentation was the sheer amount of effort involved in preparation. We edited the slides and then assigned the work for sections of the slideshow to the individual members. Rehearsing the presentation however, showed us that certain sections needed to be ironed out. My part for the presentation seemed too short for the five minute allocation whilst there were others who had parts which were too long. Furthermore, the flow between the parts wasn't quite as smooth as we'd hoped for. So we spent the day ironing out the details.

I started my Monday not by arriving on time and rehearsing but rather caught in a traffic jam. It was particularly disconcerting but I was determined to make the most of it and read the script to myself. This might have been my first problem. As my part started for the presentation, I mentally checked off the list of presentation skills as I'd learnt from my peer teaching experience. My voice was loud, I smiled and I had sit down during the presentation so as to not distract the audience from my fellow presenters. The sheer amount of memory work though, meant that I was trying to remember the script throughout the first half of my presentation. I then ended up appearing nervous in the first part. Although I gradually warmed up, I reckoned the audience could sense my trepidation.

The question and answer session was easier for me. Since I had no script, I now answered based on the knowledge I had from the  project. To be fair, the team had hypothesized some of the possible questions and that action came to good use.

Overall, I reckoned that it was a good presentation and more importantly, a good team effort.

6 comments:

  1. Govin!

    Hey buddy, I can relate to your experience during the preparation phase where there is a need to iron out certain section. I think the general flow of the actual presentation itself is awesome, as you have managed to conclude the presentation by emphasizing on the feasibility of the proposal itself. Judging from our previous peer teaching presentation, I think you make a good presenter as you are very eloquent. I was pretty convinced that this is a workable business model, except the part where there is no detailed cost-benefit analysis. I understand that the analysis is not required for this module, but it may serve as a very powerful tool in convincing NUS co-op to endorse this business plan for the welfare of the students. When it comes to the Q&A, I think you showed that you have very good knowledge of your team proposal and you answered the questions very well. Good job buddy!

    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Govin,

    Final sem, final lecture, and final group project work (oh the melodrama!). Your presentation was fine though you might have started off a wee bit shaky but then you presented like a boss!

    Of course, our presentation could be better but I think we did a good job nonetheless. Let's hope we get a good grade too. Nonetheless, this made for an interesting experience especially with Terence and Alvin (who also presented very well!).

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys! Appreciate the candour and praise at the same time. I shall work harder to improve on myself next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Govin!

    Your presentation was really good!. Everything was smooooothhh! From the transition of points to the elaboration to the gestures, it really showed you knew your project at the back of your hand. Especially the Q&A session, i think you handled it with ease. Oh just a few points to take note, inject more smiles to your presentation. because initially, the smile was there but it faded away as your presentation continued. All in all, your presentation was good. I was seriously impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Govin!

    I felt that your presentation didn't sound memorized or stiff so it comes as a surprise that you had a script committed to memory. Kudos to you for that, you managed to pull it off. In addition, I think that you had really good stage presence and were able to captivate my attention, which is what's natural about you.

    Overall, great presentation with smooth transitions and convincing propositions. I would adopt your proposal if I was in charge (hypothetical there).

    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Govin,

    you are just a natural talent for presenting. You commanded presence so well that no audience could take his/her eyes off you. Great handling of Q&A too. The answers provided was short yet concise, they were really pleasing to the ears. Commendable display of confidence but may seem overpowering (fierce) to some. I am guilty of that too so I love the way you nailed it (bias. haha.).

    ReplyDelete