Sunday 15 April 2012

One for the road: My last blog post

Tradition goes that long ago, in London, a man who was about to be executed would have to walk the length of a particular street to go from the prison to the gallows. As luck would have it, this street was where all the pubs and bars were located. The condemed man had but one privilege, that he could stop at any of the bars and ask for one last drink. They called this particular privilege "the one for the road." A saying that has persisted into modernity.

Its a morbid story to start with and yet it mirrors my situation remarkably well (not the death part of course). This is the last semester I have in NUS and I will be moving on to the next stage of my life. Its also interesting that a module like ES2007S would be the last gateway into my entry to the workforce.

I did this module because I wanted to accquire the skills necessary for the workforce. Engineering, while a tough course to navigate, is remarkable at sheltering its students from the truth of the real world. Resumes, cover letters and the nuances of the job application process were unknown to me (as those who read my various submissions will attest) and I reckoned I shouldn't be going in blind. Certainly, this module has taught me all the necessary skills for that aspect.

What I didnt expect to learn was the other soft skills. I was never afraid of public speaking (Because of my inherent shamelessness) but I learnt what people looked out for and what to expect and hence improved myself. I had written proposals for engin modules before but for the first time I learnt exactly what the marker or recipients of the proposals looked for. I had worked on projects before but I learnt how differently people think and how difficulties are overcome with as little animosity as possible (thanks Team Bookies!). And last but most importantly, I learned to accept criticism from peers and my tutors. I've always had a very bad temper and a decidedly defensive streak. But the real improvements that resulted from implementing suggestions certainly convinced me to listen and consider criticism before rejecting it outright.

Thank you to Ms Lim and all my classmates for the refreshing and decidedly unique experience in NUS. It's one hell of a way to end my NUS life.

7 comments:

  1. Indeed very morbid, Govin haha. I think this ES module would be very helpful in a way or another to gather classroom experience in preparation for your working life.

    Yep, I think the benchmarkers make things a lot more direct for us - at least we know what the assessors are looking out for and we will avoid making these silly mistakes.

    Can totally imagine you saying "one hell of a way to end..." hahaha. May you graduate with flying colours and enjoy work life yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Govin,

    Very concisely written! Especially for us Bioengineers; maybe now with our resumes, HR personnel will consider us! Hahaha.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Govin!

    Glad that there were so many learning take away from this module for all of us! I think Ms Lim did a great job as a facilitator and encouraging us to learn from each other through the countless feedback and peer reviews! Thank you for being such a great friend in class! Wishing you all the best in your job search and career! Cheers to a new beginning!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey man!

    Agree with you on public speaking and report writing. It comes naturally for some but noticing the stuff people look out for gives that extra edge and fine tunes the presentation.

    All the best in your new journey. It'll be an adventure!

    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Govin (bro-fist)

    Funny: at the fact that (in NUS) I have done a project with your bro Navin and with you too. I also never knew so much about history until you told me about all that stuff from your vast knowledge bank - sometimes i think you are a walking archive/library. Interesting how you read abt Greek Mythology when i hadn't even finish my Tintin collection (u know what i mean).

    Anyway it's nice to have worked with such a self-directed ACSian like you. You may come across as being impatient at times but I see that as an asset; the world (the company you work for) needs more people like you to get things done quickly and efficiently. Probably you'll end up as SMRT CEO? Considering how awesome (pun intended) the trains have been functioning lately.

    As always: The Best is Yet to Be

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much peeps. Have fun too guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yo Govin!

    quite a nice way to put this module as the last gateway before you enter the working world! I guess this module would give you an edge over the others in terms of essential skills for work next time! All the best!

    ReplyDelete